NMR is inherently very insensitive but it is one of the most important analytical techniques for metabolomics, natural product discovery and structural biology. To improve the situation, we have worked with engineering groups at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory and elsewhere in the world to develop new NMR probes that will enhance applications in protein and natural product studies. We previously developed a unique 1-mm high temperature superconducting probe with Bill Brey, Rich Withers, and Rob Nast. Although no longer operational, the 1-mm HTS probe is one of the most mass sensitive probes in the world.
We have recently completed a new 1.5-mm HTS probe optimized for direct 13C measurements. This probe has over 2x greater 13C mass sensitivity than the best available commercial 13C probe. This probe has enabled several new studies that would be difficult or impossible without this technology (Wang et al., 2015; Clendinen et al., 2015; Frelin et al., 2015; Clendinen et al., 2014)
We are developing the next generation of 13C probe with a new patented design that allows two frequencies to be incorporated into a single coil. This allows for improved filling factors and optimal sensitivity.
We have a new project with our collaborators at the MagLab to develop a larger volume 13C-optimized NMR probe at 800 MHz for the system at UGA. With this probe, we will be in a position to integrate some of our new LC-MS based metabolomics experiments with 13C NMR in order to improve the identification of important metabolites.
MagLab Collaborators: Bill Brey, Vijay Ramaswamy, and Jerris Hooker
- V. Ramaswamy, J.W. Hooker, R.S. Withers, R.E. Nast, A.S. Edison, W.W. Brey, Microsample Cryogenic Probes: Technology and Applications, eMagRes. 2 (2013) 215–228.
- Ramaswamy, V., Hooker, J.W., Withers, R.S., Nast, R.E., Brey, W.W*., Edison, A.S.* “Development of a 13C-Optimized 1.5-mm High Temperature Superconducting NMR Probe” J. Magn. Reson. 235C, 58–65. (2013).
- Edison, A. S., Long, J. R. “The Magic of Solenoids” Nature News & Views, 447, 646-7 (2007).
- Brey, W., Edison, A.S., Nast, R.E., Rocca, J., Saha, S., Withers, R. Design, Construction, and Validation of a 1-mm Triple-Resonance High-Temperature-Superconducting Probe for NMR Journal of Magnetic Resonance 179, 290-3 (2006).
- Li, Y., Logan, T. M., Edison, A. S. and Webb, A. Design and Optimization of High Sensitivity Small Volume Probes for Improved Limits of Detection in Protein NMR experiments Journal of Magnetic Resonance 164, 128-135 (2003).
- Wang, H., Ciobanu, L., Edison, A. S., and Webb, A. G. An Eight-coil High Frequency Probehead Design for High-Throughput Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy J Magn Reson 170, 206-12. (2004).
- Li, Y, Webb, A., Saha, S., Brey, W., Zachariah, C., Edison, A. S. Investigation of conductor geometry effects on the signal-to-noise of small solenoid coils for high-field protein NMR experiments Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry 44, 255-62 (2006).